As parents of children with a limb difference, we know how important it is for our children to see themselves represented in the movies, books and toys that they love.
Taking books into school is a great way for a child’s difference to be introduced to the class in a fun and engaging way, that doesn’t put all the focus on an individual.
Here at Koalaa, we’ve teamed up with our friends at the LimbBo Foundation, to put together a list of some of the books that we love for introducing and including limb difference.
Picture books about limb difference:
· What Happened to You - James Catchpole
· Different is Awesome - Ryan Haack
· Airick Flies High - Eric Gaffney
· Uniquely Me – Trace Wilson
Picture books that include (but are not about) a limb difference:
· Chops Series - Matthew Jenkins
· Rae’s first Day - Danny Jordan
· The Roller Coaster - David Broadbent
· Splash! – Claire Cashmore
Picture books about being different:
· Marmaduke the Very Different Dragon – Rachel Valentine & Ed Eaves
· Giraffes Can’t Dance - Giles Andreae
Books for older readers:
Gracie Fairshaw and the Mysterious Guest – Susan Brownrigg
The selection above are just a taste of some of the wonderful books out there to help children learn about differences, to feel connected to the characters in their book, or to help ease a transition to a new school or nursery.
What other titles would you recommend? Comment below!